Hi ya’ll! In my last post, you saw that we officially opened our shop at The Vintage Tin Can in Fallston, Maryland in July. It took a lot of work to get our space exactly how I’d imaged, but it paid off and we had a great first month. In August, we completely re-designed our space and launched our fall items. Fall is my favorite season- I could have moved into our booth space and been a happy camper. Here’s a few photos. If you’re local, be sure to visit us. The next sale dates are September 28th, 29th and 30th.
It’s been a LONG time since my last post, but if you follow me on Facebook or Instagram then you know we are expecting Baby #3!
…So it’s been a busy couple of months filled with as much DIY as I could manage with the extreme tiredness that hit during the first trimester. Luckily, I was a lot less nauseous this pregnancy than I was with both of my girls…perhaps that means a baby boy is in our future. 😉 We’ll hopefully find out at our anatomy scan in a week- I can’t wait! We were hoping to find out at our appointment last week, but our little peanut didn’t cooperate.
With the majority of our weekends booked up from now until December, we had planned to use this past long Labor Day holiday weekend to complete the nursery. Luckily, the continued mystery of pink or blue didn’t stop us since I had planned months ago on a gender-neutral color scheme. With two girls already in pink and coral bedrooms and a shared purple bathroom, I definitely needed a change. I decided on green and gray since we’re passing down the light gray nursery furniture my mom gifted us when we were pregnant with our oldest daughter. The set includes a smaller scale changing table and dresser so it’s perfect for the small space we had to work with. Here’s a rough sketch of the room. (I wish I had some great before pictures, but I was so eager to get started that I forgot to take any.)
It’s the smallest of our four bedrooms measuring just over 10 feet by 10 feet. As you can see from the sketch above, it’s layout also presented some design challenges with the door taking up space in the corner, a large closet with sliding doors occupying an entire wall and a window in the middle of the longest wall.
We had to get creative in order to fit all of the furniture and a rocking chair in the room while still leaving space to walk and for Baby #3 to play. We decided to disassemble the sliding closet doors, remove all the shelving and make the closet part of the room.
By happy coincidence, the closet was the perfect size for the changing table. By not so happy coincidence, there was no padding under the carpet in the closet. There also wasn’t any carpet under the metal bracket that allowed the old closet doors to slide back and forth. Not wanting to spend big bucks to re-carpet the entire room (especially since the carpet is only 2.5 years old and is in the least used room in the house), my DIY can-do-just-about-anything hubby you tube tutorialed himself into an expert at splicing seams of carpet together and laying padding. A trip to Lowes and a couple hours later, he had the room looking pretty seamless.
(Side note: we did have to purchase an extra splice of carpet to patch the area that was missing carpet under the metal bracket. It matched close but wasn’t quite perfect so we used that piece at the back of the closet where it can’t be seen. We slid the original piece of carpet that was in the closet forward and spliced it to the existing carpet in the room then spliced the new piece on the back as you can see in the photo below. Kudos to my husband for his ingenuity and for coming up with that plan.)
Once we had the carpet looking like one seamless piece, it was time to make the walls look the same. I was worried about how effectively we’d be able to incorporate the closet into the rest of the room without it still just looking like a closet.
I decided to go with board and batten since I knew we could flow that onto the closet walls and it would hopefully help tie the room together. After a 24 hour marathon session of cutting, nailing, filling and caulking, the room turned out even better than I could have imagined!
I decided on a double box pattern for the board and batten because I wanted some height to it so that it would extend above the back of the crib. The green paint I chose for the upper parts of the wall is also pretty bright. I didn’t want it to overpower the room by painting it in large wall sections.
To add some more visual interest and contrast to the room, I designed custom shelving using 1” x 12” pine boards and wooden corbels I found at Home Depot to frame each side of the window. Since the room is small, this also adds storage at an accessible height, but also one that doesn’t impede the use of the room below. I painted the shelves in Little Lamb, one of my new favorite colors from the Fusion Mineral Paint Tones for Tots line.
I added floating shelves in the same color above the changing table as well.
We installed the board and batten ourselves. You want to know a secret…it’s actually just “batten.” We opted not to install boards because our walls are drywall and are relatively flat. That definitely saved us money…money I can use on accessories once I find out if this little peanut is a boy or girl. 😊 Yay!
I’ll be posting a tutorial for do-it-yourself board and batten in the coming weeks. I took tons of pictures during the process and am looking forward to sharing everything we learned along the way with all of you in case you’d like to tackle your own board and batten project.
I’m also working on a cute little Halloween crafty project that I’ll be sharing soon.
Until then, keep creating!